I love smoothies. A smoothie is a great way to get a lot of greens or protein into your diet. Quick and easy to blend, they’re also a great on-the-go food for those times when you’re in a hurry to get out the door.
A recent visit to see my aunt in New York brought up the idea for this smoothie. We were headed out one morning and stopped for a cup of tea at the coffee shop near her apartment. Because it was morning, ie breakfast time, they were serving Oatmeal Smoothies. I was struck by the idea and what a fabulous concept, especially because it was chilly outside and the thought of a cold smoothie would not have been appealing.
We didn’t get one but the server assured us they were fabulous. Made from oatmeal, milk and vanilla syrup it’s a way to have a warm nourishing beverage on a cold day (or if you’re just tired of cold smoothies).
I don’t know why but the idea of this smoothie really caught my imagination and I decided to try to create one when I got home. This is what I came up with. Just as quick to whip up as a traditional smoothie, it’s easy and delicious. The best part is you can make it whatever flavor you want and enjoy your breakfast smoothie style, even in the winter.
- 1/4 C. oatmeal
- 1/4 C. oat bran
- 1 T. ground flax seed
- 1 T. coconut oil
- 2 C. milk
- 1/2 C. fruit
- 1 serving protein powder
- 1/2 t. vanilla (if it goes well with your protein powder)
- Heat milk and coconut oil in a saucepan until steamy
- Place remaining ingredients in the blender
- Pour hot milk and coconut oil over blender ingredients
- Blend together until smooth
- This is for two servings. If you want to make one serving just cut everything in half. 1/4 C. is 4 T. so a half serving would be 2 T. for the oatmeal and oat bran.