After yesterday’s post on BPA many of you may be wondering what you can do to support your body and your health. Long time readers will know that I encourage cleaning up the chemicals in your diet, eating whole foods, and the use of alkalizing beverages and foods. I am not a fan of painful detox methods, extreme caloric reduction, or detox methods which cause you to feel ill. I believe you should not feel badly, physically or mentally, while trying to support your body during a cleanse.
It is possible to eat well and support your body and good health while adding detoxifying foods. This top ten list gives you my suggestions for foods and supplements to add to your nutritional plan.
- Cilantro – an excellent and tasty way to cleanse the body, ridding it of heavy metal accumulation.
- Cruciferous vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, bok choy, cabbage, rutabaga, turnip, and radishes all support the liver which is important for detoxification.
- Fiber – supports a healthy digestive system which in turns helps with elimination when transporting toxins out of the body. Good fiber choices include beans, fresh ground flax seeds, and whole grains.
- Folate – found in dark leafy greens, calves liver, lentils, beans, and asparagus, has been shown to help counter the effects of BPA in the system.
- Garlic – high in sulfur garlic helps to dilate the blood vessels so they don’t get blocked, it’s also anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-bacterial.
- Green tea – high in anti-oxidants it supports the liver and helps with hydration.
- Lemons – have an alkalizing effect on the system, also add the juice to foods rich in iron to increase bio-availability.
- Wheatgrass – an excellent detoxifier that is also high in vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
- Selenium – helps to rid the body of mercury while protecting against free-radicals, found in codfish, tuna, egg yolks, beef, shitake mushrooms, lamb, and Brazil nuts.
- Water – pure, clean water helps to flush the body of toxins.